Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stand by me...

As the days grow shorter and shorter between now and the wedding I wanted to do a post about the women who will be  my bride's maids. Cliff says that they are the people who will "stand for you" on your wedding
day. I had never heard it put this way until he said it, but I think it is fitting.

As a girl dreams of her big day she also dreams of the girls who will stand beside her and accompany her on her journey to wedded bliss. As someone who has moved around a lot in my life from place to place I have had many good girl friends, but as I have gotten older my circle has narrowed a bit. When choosing
the ladies who would be there for me on that special day I decided to choose the ones who have been there on the ordinary days too, on the days when I needed a shoulder, a laugh, a hug. I tried to think of the women who have stood for me in life when choosing bride's maids and I would like to take a minute to
express to them what they mean to me.

 Angel Truss-Heath
Angel and I have an interesting history. She was the daughter of one of the deacons at Live Oak Baptist when we first moved to Texas in 95 and Daddy became pastor. We actually spent the night at her house the very first time we ever stayed in Gatesville. She was a junior the year that I was a freshman and I always thought that I was so cool when she would say hello to me in the halls. But for years that was pretty much the
extent of our friendship. I was a young goodie goodie and she was an independent, free spirit who I admired from a far.

But things changed one summer. I don't recall the year but sometime toward the beginning of my college days and toward the end of hers we both found ourselves home for the summer and looking for something to do. I don't even remember why we started to hang out, probably after church one night we went to the drive in, or went over to some one's house, and something just clicked!  I knew that I had made a life-long friend.. 

Angel was there for me that Summer and has been since. She has shared many a heavy heart ache with me, counseled me through many a problem, and reminded me to never give up hope. Even though the miles separate us it warms my heart to think of her and the laughter and good times we have shared. Angel 
has taught me that the Lord is good. That he blesses us when we least expect it and in ways
we never imagined. I am so thankful to her for traveling all the way from Texas to be with me and I can not wait to see her and her sweet family. 

Leslie Barker

Leslie is my Uncle Tom's niece, my cousin Scott's cousin on the Prather side. I grew up hearing about Scott's cool cousin Leslie, and even met her a few times, but for some reason we never began to really be friends until a few years ago when I was living in Clinton and Leslie lived in Belhaven.

I knew already how "cool" she was and I have to admit I was a bit intimidated by her music and arts knowledge. But she was quick to share and sweet in her  speech on these subjects, never condescending, always kind. I credit her with teaching me to love Bruce Springsteen, she gave us a burned cd with the live version of Thunder Road and I know it may sound crazy, but in many ways it changed me.
It stirred something in me. And as I think now about Leslie and our friendship over the years since then, I realize that is what she does. She stirs something in me. This desire to be better, to be inspiring, to be the best that I can be. I know that she does this for many people, and I am so thankful that she has done it for me. Leslie's love for the Lord is expressed in art in ways that are so beautiful I can not even begin to describe them. I am blessed to have her stand beside me on this special day and even more blessed to know that she stands beside me in my life.

Amanda Holliday
Amanda and I worked together at the book store at Mississippi College.
When I started working there I was going through a rough patch in my life. I had lost my job at Hillcrest, my boyfriend had broken up with me, and in many was I was depressed. Amanda soon begin to help me break through the sadness. She has the most amazing laugh. It just makes you smile to hear it, and since I was
not doing too much smiling in those days, it became my mission in life to make Amanda laugh.

Soon we were working side by side every day at the office. We pushed our desks together and joked that we were Ben Afflick and Matt Damon. Each day as our friendship grew so did my joy and soon the heart ache that  I felt had subsided.

Amanda has taught me to be confident in who I am, to take each day on with a smile, to laugh out loud and, and to say to the world that I am beautiful inside and out because I am a strong, capable woman. I am thankful to her for her "Miranda" spirit that pushed me and motivated me to be a better person.

Laura Rogers

Laura was Minda's friend first. They traveled to Spain together, had many a fun night out on the town in
Jackson and Chicago and Alicante together, and I was always a little jealous. But sometime after she moved back from Chicago we began to become friends too and I am so glad.

Laura is one of those people who can always be counted on when you want to have fun. It doesn't matter if you are shopping, going for a drive, going to dinner or throwing a party, Laura will be the smiling face that gives you the energy to enjoy yourself. I have gotten to know Laura better in recent years over lunches, and movie nights at her place and as we have opened up to each other I think we have found a kindred spirit. I know that I  can count on her when I need a friend to make me laugh, to hear me out or to dish with.

Laura has taught me to enjoy life, to just relax and join the fun wherever the fun takes you. Her adventurous spirit has taught me that I can take on the world and I am thankful that she has made me a friend that she takes on the world with.

Minda Anthony

What can you say that has not already been said about a best friend. Minda has been more than a friend. Entire blogs have been dedicated to her and still I can not fully express what she means to me.

Minda has taught me that world is a great big wonderful place full of joys and love to be experienced and shared. She has taught me that knowledge is an ever searchable journey that we can grow through and toward. She has taught me what love really is through her own sacrifices, and heart aches and actions. She has inspired me to be the woman that I am today.

Much of young life was spent trying to protect her, to guard her, to keep her. She has taught me that to truly experience life, one can not keep another, one can only keep their beloved in their hearts as they allow them  
to fly free and full. She has taught me to fly. She has been there as I have fallen and she has helped me to fly again. I can not express what she means to me. I am so thankful to her and honored to have her stand with me on my special day.


In addition to those who will be standing beside me as bride's maids there are also a few other women who
I need to mention as people who have influenced my life.

Alyson Elise Syer

Alyson is probably my oldest friend. Our dads were roomies at MC in the seventies. We have known each other since we very young and have a very special friendship. It a precious thing the friends you make along the way who you know will always be friends no matter what.
We have saved each others lives, been pen pals, played pirates, and had many a slumber party. Ally taught me as a young girl to laugh, to have confidence, and to believe in myself and in the Lord.
Though she could not travel all the way from Colorado to be in Pville on Saturday, she is an honorary bride's maid because she is a forever friend that the Lord has blessed me with.

Laura Marie Allen (Almost Anthony)

When I think of Laura it is strange to think that there was  ever a time when she was not a part of our family. She and Coday will be married in the fall and it has been so much fun to share in this wedding planning process with her. I am inspired by her daily as I see her photography but also as I see the life she has poured back into Coday. I am forever thankful to her for the spark she has put back in his eyes. I am blessed to call her sister and friend.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 I am so thankful for all of these women and for what they have meant and will continue to mean in my life. I hope that they all know how very special they are to me, I am so thankful for them all! Very very soon we will be standing up there under the pergola! Thank you for going through this journey with me! I love you all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I wish I had come to this site a long time ago! Can't believe I made your blog! I feel like a celebrity! Such an honor! :) I am still grieving over having had to miss your wedding, but am so honored to have been an honorary bridesmaid. Your bridal pics are GORGEOUS and I'm sure the day was perfect! Cliff is a lucky man!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete