Saturday, April 9, 2011

If you like it then you should have put a ring on it...


A few weekends ago Cliff took me down to the local jeweler here in Jackson that Dandy had taken Mimi to back in the forties,and that Daddy had taken Momma to back in the seventies, and just like them, he bought a ring.
(I think never in the history of rings has there ever been one more perfect.)

But it had to be sized and so I had to wait...

Last weekend he started talking about going to Nola and I just knew that he was going to pop the question in the Big Easy.

But to my disappointment he made plans instead to hang out with an old friend. I was happy for the two to reunite, but selfishly my heart sank. I went instead down to Pvile to spend time with the family as he went on down to Louisiana without me. But little did I know he had other plans!

Almost as soon as I got to the house Momma started talking about going out for a big family dinner on Friday when Cliff got back. I told her I didn't know what his plans were and we would just have to see. Before Friday afternoon had rolled around I had become a bit suspicious because it seemed that everyone was so adamant that we get together for this "family dinner".

But when Cliff got back to Pville he was so nonchalant and was taking him time. Mom mentioned to me that she was not sure Ellis and Minda could come cause they had a movie to catch, and so I decided not to get my hopes up. Surely I was just going to a casual dinner with the fam.

We ended up going to this place in Hattiesburg where Cliff and I had our first date, which was not to suspicious because it is a family fav. When we walked in Cliff told them we would have nine and as we headed to our table I noticed a large table already set in the back. But I quickly remembered Coday had mentioned that they had a new back patio and so I asked the waiter if we could sit outside, testing it to see if that table was prearranged for us. The waiter said sure and started out the back door, passing the large table, and I resigned in my heart that it was not the night of the proposal and that was ok.

As I stepped out onto the back patio I saw another table in the back, and it had a beautiful arrangement of flowers on it!



I quickly glanced at the other tables on the patio to see if they had the same arrangement; they did not! When we walked a little closer I saw the Cheetah print ribbon, (if you know me you know how much I have come to love cheetah print! ) and I knew this was just for me!

My heart began to leap out of my chest and I turned to Cliff. He was pulling the ring out of his pocket!!

I always thought that I would cry but though I teared up a bit at first I mostly was just freaking out. I kept telling the waiter who was standing there all grins and smiles that I needed water. It really seemed like the whole world slowed and I just got really light headed. Mimi, Mom and Dad, May and E,and  Boo and Laura Marie all bounded up with hugs, snapping pictures and crying. 

I just kept saying, "I'm really freaking out here, guys!"
ha ha

But it was wonderful. 

We ate and laughed and talked religion and politics over fajitas and tacos and I think the stars literally aligned!



Thank you to my wonderful family who helped make the night so special. I love
you all more than I can say.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! to my precious man who has made the last year of my life so
very special. You have come along and accepted and loved me for me and that has made all the difference in my life! I can't wait t spend my life with you.

And most of all thank you, Lord!
My heart's cry for love in the form of a Godly man has been answered!

And now, let the journey toward wedded bliss begin!!!




2 comments:

  1. JAYNA!!!! I am so thrilled for you, sista. Love makes you radiate and Cliff is one lucky guy! WOWEE...let me know if I can help in any way. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya'lls story and can't wait to meet Cliff!

    ReplyDelete